Certified Medical Assistant/BA- Full Time Days (9:00 AM – 5:30 PM)req4471
(CMA) Under the direction of the physician, Charge RN or Manager performs direct clinical activities in a courteous, caring and respectful manner. These include patient intake, blood draw, pharmacy calls, EKG and any tests required by the physician. Responsible for accurately documenting in an EMR system in accordance with licensure and VMG policy and procedures. Maintains close working relationships with all practice staff to ensure proper workflow, care and treatment. o (BA) Performs a variety of essential front desk activities that include greeting, registering, ensuring insurance compliance and collecting appropriate payment at time of service. Responsible for maintaining the daily patient schedule and answers all incoming calls that results in scheduling an appointment, medication refills or pass along inquiries from a clinical or billing nature, in a courteous, caring and respective manner. Coordinates with the clinical staff on any special needs or requirements and ensuring proper patient flow. Supports the Practice and professional staff as directed or requested by Practice Manager.
High school diploma or equivalent and completion of a formal Medical Assistant program that is recognized by the State of New Jersey. Certification required. Completion of formal coursework in office management, database management or business. Computer literacy required.
Previous MA experience in a clinic, physician’s office or outpatient setting preferred. Six (6) months of previous customer service/data entry, administrative/office management/clerical experience required.
Current and valid certification as a certified medical assistant or registered medical assistant recognized by the Board of Examiners such as American Medical Technology (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) required. o BCLS certification preferred upon hire, will be required. Understanding of the operations of a medical practice preferred. Strong orientation towards the provisions of high quality, cost effective and comprehensive medical care. Ability to use effective organizational and time management skills to set priorities and respond quickly to urgent/emergent situations. Strong communication–both oral, written and presentation skills to convey information in a clear and concise manner to persons of varied age groups, customers and/or groups. Ability to create, maintain and support a high functioning team; establish and foster cooperative working relationships with staff and management; and function effectively as part of that team. Demonstrates behavior that is courteous, caring, respectful, and compassionate at all times.
o Demonstrates ability to listen and respond in a non-judgmental manner, with clear expectations. Demonstrates behavior that is consistent with the Valley Health System’s Behavioral Standards, as well as the Valley Physician Services Mission and Vision Statements. Ability to represent the organization positively at all times. Ability to respect confidentiality of private healthcare, financial and other company information at all times. Ability to honor commitments to the job and members of the team. Ability to speak constructively about co-workers and the organization. Ability to assume responsibilities and accountability for job duties and organizational responsibilities.
o Ability to support company-wide efforts to improve and maintain a high level of patient/customer satisfaction, as evidenced by (but not limited to) customer/patient satisfaction survey scores and other organizational and System’s targets. Position may require rotating to other VMG locations from time to time when necessary.
1. Greets patients and visitors upon their arrival to the clinical area, using eye contact, in a courteous and professional manner. Identifies patient visits and reports to the appropriate staff and keeps patient informed on waiting time. 2. Applies clinical and technical skills and effective interviewing skills to triage incoming patient as per approved clinical protocols. Identifies and reports the arrival of seriously ill patients or potentially life threatening and/or serious symptoms to the physician on duty, in accordance with the Medical Alert Guidelines and provides first aid procedures for injured as necessary according to practice protocols.
3. Prepares the treatment room and patient for examination , assembles and prepares medical equipment in preparation for diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to produce clear and interpretable results according to Practice protocols.
4. Performs on-site lab tests (e.g., urinalysis, blood tests etc.) according to established CLIA and license regulations and VMG clinical protocols, policy and procedures; prepares lab specimens properly for transport to outside labs according to VMG referral and follow-up procedures.
6. Administers therapeutic medications in accordance with VMG protocols.
7. Cleans examination and treatment rooms immediately after use and during the shift, as needed, according to approved Practice policy and protocols; cleans and sterilizes instruments according to Practice protocols; follows VMG policies and procedures for the disposal of hazardous waste.
10. Educates and instructs the patient on the use of appliances and first aid procedures in an accurate and courteous manner to allay anxiety and promote cooperation and compliance.
11. Performs routine inventory checks, to include but not limited to, checking of emergency supplies and medications as assigned and/or requested. Documents results according to Practice policy and procedures.
12. Updates and maintains accurate and up-to-date logs and records (patient, Center, etc.) according to approved Practice guidelines.
13. Demonstrates knowledge of insurance plans/policies regarding laboratory services.
14. Communicates with Practice Manager on unusual circumstances requiring attention and/or assistance.
15. Attends and actively participates in all staff meetings. Remains up-to-date on all Practice measures and targets for the year.
16. Maintains technical competency and proficiencies by participating in on-going training and developmental activities.
17. Obtains ambulance as directed in an expeditious manner and notifies ER prior to the referred patient’s arrival, as directed.
18. Answers a heavy volume of phone calls and confirms patient appointments. Responds in a courteous and professional manner. When taking messages, records the caller’s name, phone number, nature of the call, the pharmacy and patient’s allergies if applicable. Returns calls to patients pertaining to Doctors responses to messages. Utilizes the Practice’s appointment scheduling system, for initial and follow visits according to Practice protocol.
19. Contacts recent hospital discharged patients to schedule follow up appointments.
20. Distributes appropriate registration form (s) to the new patient. Receives and reviews form (s) and relevant information for accuracy and completeness to prevent duplication of medical records. Obtains applicable signatures, scans insurance card and copies the patient’s driver’s license for inclusion in the patient’s record while confirming validity of demographic and insurance information verbally with the patient on each visit. Enters and updates relevant information including required billing/collection data in the computer while adhering to billing procedures for commercial and managed care patients according to VMG protocols and contract guidelines.
22. Collects co-pays and open balances for services, processes charge card transactions, and prints a receipt while adhering to billing procedures for commercial and managed care patients according to VMG protocols and contract guidelines and obtains signatures.
23. Receives and reviews patient’s information at check – out to ensure the patient has all necessary information. Schedules follow up appointment and assists patient with information on how to obtain a specialist appointment and/or diagnostic appointment and Ensures prescription requests and/or medical reports are directed to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
25. Responds to patient’s concerns/complaints. Refers more complex and emotionally charged issues/concerns/complaints to the Practice Manager for effective problem-resolution and service recovery interventions.
26. Maintains confidentiality of all information and records according to departmental policy and procedures.
27. Obtains all approved H&P, pre-admission paperwork and faxes it to appropriate surgical site and surgeon’s office. Calls to confirm complete packet of required paperwork is received, notes in chart and files chart.
28. Utilizes office equipment and supplies in a cost conservative and efficient manner. Advises applicable staff when equipment needs repair to ensure that equipment remains fully operational and ensures forms at sufficient levels.
29. Maintains the waiting room in a clean and neat manner.
30. Other duties as requested or assigned.
31. Accurately enters, updates and audits one’s own API clocking transactions (time card) including benefit time. (EE: 0-3 Correction Forms submitted, AE: 4-6 Correction Forms submitted, NI: 7 or more Correction Forms submitted.)
Patient care and office environment. Frequent talking on the telephone. Exposure to patient care hazards, infections, puncture wounds, blood-borne pathogens, HIV related illnesses, and varying noise levels. Requires lifting, pushing or pulling of up to 50-100 pounds occasionally with frequent lifting and carrying of up to 25 pounds; considerable standing, talking, listening, walking, sitting, reaching, filing, typing, and photocopying. Occasionally requires stooping, kneeling, and crouching. Hearing within normal range. Standard office equipment including use of the computer. Concentration, corrected vision and attention to detail required.
1604 Bloodborne Pathogen Category I
Employees in this job description are expected to have contact with bloodborne pathogens and as such they are required to be oriented and annually trained under the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Bloodborne Pathogen Standard (CFR 1910.1030)
Area of Talent: Allied Health & Technical
Organization: Valley Physician Services
Department: VP PULMONOLOGY, WAYNE
Schedule: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM